1. Please do not store any
food items or combustible materials i.e. solvents, paints, ect.
2. Plan your storage space. Place items that you may
need to access often in the front.
Allow for walk ways.
3. Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place
at home or in a
safe deposit box.
4. Place your furniture on 2 x 4 boards or on pallets to protect against
temperature of the concrete floors.
5. Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are
strong enough to
hold 25 to 30 lbs. (It is best not to put too much in each box.)
6. List contents of boxes on 3 X 5 cards (instead of on each box). Number
the boxes to
match card numbers. Keep cards in a safe convenient place for use when
7. Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
8. Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy
them on top.
9. Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked "Fragile"
stacked on end.
10. Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures,
china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels,
or blankets to
11. Larger appliances make excellent "packing cases" for blankets,
clothes, and clothes.
12. Shovels, hoes, rakes, and hoses can be stored together in empty
trash cans. Stack
extra cans inside one another.
13. Tables with removable legs should be "broken down" to
14. Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always
protective layer under the item on the concrete. Cushions should be
plastic and placed on top.
15. Cover stuffed furniture with plastic to protect against dust.
16. It is best to
store mattresses flat on top of a level stack of boxes or furniture.
If you stand mattresses on their
side, prop them up so they stand straight. (They may tend to bend out
of shape and become lumpy).
17. Wrap stringed instruments in one or two blankets loosen the strings.
18. Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
19. Always use a good quality lock on your door.
20. Make sure surfaces of antiques and other wood furniture are treated